Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Everyday adventures at home...

Food is important.  At least that's what the slogan was at the Lincoln Cafe - where we ate dinner last night.  Those three words provided the inspiration for this blog.  I was worried that all of my creative energy was left behind in Thailand - but, alas, here I am writing again.  I had an adventure right here in good ole' Iowa.  Not that I wasn't expecting to  - like I mentioned before, I am seeing the world with new eyes - I see so much beauty now in the life that exists around me.  Despite my lingering jet-lag, I was ready to spend time with friends and loved ones.

Dinner was a small reception for a small wedding.  Amanda and Robert - my sister in law and brother in law, got re-married on their original anniversary.  I was the officiant (yes, I perform wedding ceremonies).  It was a special evening despite the drizzle and the tears of their youngest - Simon, who had a nasty fall while running around.  The setting was the same as their first time around - Palisades State Park (a local hiking favorite for Heather and me).  Love was in the air and we all celebrated with a toast in the parking lot.  It was an amazing thing to be part of.  Although I wasn't at their first wedding (and neither were their children), we could feel the reminiscent vibes from that first day they were joined together.

And off we went to feast at the Lincoln Cafe.  It is a local restaurant that has gained national recognition due to the wonderful flavor combinations, organic/local food, and eclectic atmosphere.  Every time I eat there, I rejoice in the number of flip flops my mouth can do in a short period of time.  It is outstanding cuisine each and every time, and last night was no exception.

I stuck with the Veggie Sandwich and homemade fries (even though I haven't been eating fried foods, sugar or white flour since Thailand).  Heather had the Avocado BLT.  Mmmmm... My mouth is watering right now.  The rest of the group went for more substance  - prawns (with their heads on - yuck) steak, salmon.  Each dish smelled better than the last.  I can't believe I am going to admit this, but I even tried the smallest of bites of steak.  I haven't tasted meat in over 4 years, but I wanted a bite.  And I didn't really like it.  I am a vegetarian for sure.  Heather laughed at my face and the fact that I can't hang with the steak anymore.

Dessert was like an herbal-y, fruity experience.  Lavender ice cream with almond-cherry bread pudding.  Chocolate waffle with basil ice cream and bananas.  Grilled lemon pound cake with local strawberries and creme fraise. Whoa.  Sugar ban - right out the door.  Oh well.  It was well worth it - as was the laughter, love and friendship.  It made me realize that fun stuff happens every day if you look for it and embrace it.  We headed home, full and happy and I slept easier than  I had in days.

1 comment:

  1. "The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it." :)

    ReplyDelete