Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Wellness Adventure

I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions.  I think they set us up to fail.  At least mine have in the past.  I am, however, a goal setter.  I like to set goals to achieve and like the Type A personality that I am not, make lists to check off accomplishments.

I think it started when I was learning how to write.  I remember my parents got me a chalk board with the alphabet printed on top.  I would spend time mimicking the letters, instead of drawing pictures (like I wanted to).  I had to practice writing upper and lowercase letters until I had mastered them.  And then I was able to use the colored chalk... what a big deal!  I wanted to use that chalk from the moment I saw all the colors taunting me in that new cardboard package.  So, my first goal was born in the desire to use all the colors in the rainbow to draw pictures with.

My goal for this next year, is to practice what I preach.  I am a licensed massage therapist and a massage therapy educator.  Wellness is my life, yet it is something I seek on a daily basis.  I want to be the example to my students and clients, and ultimately to myself, about what health and holistic living look like.  I have been on this quest for balance since the age of 20, and finally at 35, feel like I am prepared to completely take the leap.

Let me preface all of this by saying that I am not looking for perfection.  I don't want to be a size 0, or start modeling for JC Penney (ha), I just want to be a person who radiates healthy vitality.  I have always struggled with my weight.  Pleasantly plump is ok with me as long as I can jog when I want to, maintain my flexiblity, keep my blood pressure and cholesterol low and like the way I look most days.  And stay pain free - which has been a challenge for me (at times) as a massage therapist.

So I begin here...  It's not about the numbers or the weight loss, so forgive me for not posting those numbers.  I have in the past proudly displayed my weight on weight loss websites, at Weight Watcher's meetings, and to various support groups.  In truth, I am over all of that.  I feel like this weight battle is too all consuming these days.  We as a society are on this binge-purge roller coaster that feels like sheer madness.  We eat too much of the wrong things, then go on crazy diets in order to achieve this unrealistic fantasy ideal of what a body should look like.  Been there, done that.  I choose, instead, to focus on what is going in and coming out of my body.  How close to the original food it remains, and how I let it go (digestion, folks).  How I feel, what my skin looks like, how my clothes feel on my very real body, how I sleep at night, how I move, etc.

I have been a vegetarian for nearly three years (because I really don't like the taste of most meat), and have ranged from the lazy vegetarian (eating chips, candy, french fries, chocolate, cheese) to the extreme vegan.  My weight has dropped 30 pounds and then regained 30 pounds.  Namely, after I introduced dairy products back into my diet....  so, my diet for now is going to be about whole foods - grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits, raw nuts and seeds, and very little dairy.  I am not trying to deprive, just trying to eat the foods that make my body feel good.

I am going to stretch my body (yoga) and get some good cardio in most days of the week through walking and light jogging.  And I am going to lift weights, which I have found the most beneficial in staying pain free for my profession.

I am eliminating parabens and SLS in my body and hair products.  I am drinking lots of water, and using some natural, non extreme methods to help my body detoxify.  Lemons, pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar, bentonite clay for my skin, vitamin E and plenty of moisture.

And rest is a priority.  8 hours a night and naps on the weekends :)

I will continue to write about the progress of my wellness adventure and share the things I am learning about myself.

Yours in health....
Charlynn

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog already! Looking forward to more as your wellness adventure unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlynn you're going to do great!! I have struggle with my weight all my life also going up and down year after year! This will be the last year of that mess. I will be 30 in two years, i have alot to look forward to also so its a mission i have to accomplish! I hope i can use you as motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlynn - You wrote so well. I look forward to following this with you. At 37 going on 38...I finally have realized that I am in control of how I feel and that as long as my clothes are comfortable, I am happy....for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Charlynn! I am feeling the pull to be that person I know I am inside, but have let myself become distracted...thank you for being an inspiration!! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL:)

    ReplyDelete